FAQs about the English 1 International TESOL Course  


1 – Why take the English 1 International Educational Services International TESOL Course?       

Our International TESOL Course meets or exceeds the Level 1 standards set by the TESOL International Organization for teaching adults and children and TESL Canada Standards for teaching adults.  We offer a 120 Hour, 2 week Intensive  in-class TESOL Course or an Internationally ICOES Accredited 120 hour TESOL Course online over 9 weeks!  The in-class course is held in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and Kelowna, BC, Canada.  You can take the online course from anywhere in the world as long as you can access a google platform and have a gmail account.

Note* – Both the in-class and online classes are currently limited to 10 students!

We are also now offering a 2 to 4 week course in Boca de Tomatlan, Mexico. For more information contact us through our website. Once you receive your certificate we offer something that very few courses do. You can take a follow-up practicum in Mexico or Canada or, coming soon…… virtually!  There is a fee for all practicum placements.


2. – What is the difference between a TESOL Course and a TESL Course?

Our TESOL Course prepares you to teach adults and children.  A TESL Course only prepares you to teach adults.


3 – Can you tell me more about the online TESOL course?

Our  online 120 hour course is offered 6 times a year and runs 9 weeks. You can talk directly to the instructor through our website.


4 – I would like to take the TESOL course in Mexico but I am nervous about going there by myself.

We can suggest some places to stay that are very safe and central.  We also encourage you to speak with graduates already living and working in Mexico.


5 – Many Companies offering TESOL and TESL Courses promise you a job placement.  Do you assist graduates with placement?

During the in-class or online course we will introduce you to local schools as well as a number of websites and give you tips to prepare your international CV (resume) as well as put you through interview practice.  Also, doing a practicum placement with a private international school in either Canada or Mexico gives both you and the director of the school the opportunity to work together.  It may lead to employment later but that would be between you and the school.  Some other programs have placements but they don’t necessarily send you where you want to go or they have an extra fee for placement.


6 – What supplies do I need for the in-classroom TESOL course?

Bring a 3-ring binder, a personal notebook, and writing materials.  You won’t need a computer/ tablet/ phone in the classroom but you will need it for research and sending assignments as well as receiving emails discussed in class.  We are trying to go paperless as much as possible, even though you will still receive approximately 100 handouts.


7 – Can you connect me with any graduates of your program so I can get their perspective on the courses you teach?

Yes.  Just ask and we’ll pass along email information to you.  From there you can make arrangements for phone or skype contact if you wish.


8 – What level of English do I require to do the English 1 International Educational Services International TESOL Certificate Course?

Your spoken English has to be fairly fluent as the whole course is given in English. If you are a foreign student your TOEFL iBT score should be Overall 101 with a minimum of 23 in Listening, 24 in Reading, 27 in Speaking and 27 in Writing. Or your IELTS score should be overall 7 with a minimum of 7 in each skill area. Contact the instructor for testing if you don’t have a TOEFL or IELTS score.

Note* There is no refund if you sign up and choose not to be tested and find you can’t understand what is being said. 

You don’t need a degree to take this course but it is recommended you have Grade 12 or the equivalent or be a mature student, unless you are just auditing the class. 

Note* – We offer a scholarship to a Mexican National in each in-class course given in Mexico.  Spoken English level must  be fluent in order to take the class and you must either be a volunteer in your community or be willing to give back some way to the community after finishing the course.  Please mention that you are interested in a scholarship application if you are a Mexican national looking into our program. 


9 – What if I can’t be available for all classes in the 2 week intensive course?

It is very important that you put in all the classroom hours because of all the practical, “hands on” information you will receive.  If you miss more than 10 hours of the 50 in-class hours (unless you have made an arrangement before the class begins or you have a doctor’s note) you will not get your certificate nor will your money be refunded. You also have a number of hours of out of classroom homework and assignments with deadlines as well as a final exam to write in class. The online course might be a better option if you have to miss class time. 


10 – How do I register for the TESOL class? (I understand the deposit is due ahead of time).

Just let us know you want a space and we will send you a registration form.  You can pay your deposit by etransfer (Canadian students) or in person at one of the schools (cash please).  The deposit is non-refundable unless the course is cancelled. (We need a minimum of 4 students to teach the course).


11 – What is the local demand for TESOL teachers, particularly ones without prior teaching experience and/or a college or university degree in education?

Susan – “I have been involved in the ESL/ EAL industry in Canada and Mexico since 1998.  I am not qualified to teach in the Canadian public school system because I don’t have an education degree.  I taught in both Canada and Mexico with just a TESOL Certificate at private international colleges. English is my main language and I had no problem finding part time work tutoring and also full-time in Mexico and Canada with only my TESOL Certificate”.  There is also a need for conversation tutors in other countries, especially if you have some conversational skills in their language and can work with beginners. Also, if you have a strong base in English grammar, your skills will help you greatly with tutoring international university students. There are also many companies hiring online teachers for tutors and virtual classrooms now.


12 – What is the approximate wage for beginning TESOL teachers?

The wage in Canada and the USA averages $15 to $20 per hour to start for tutoring or instructing in an international classroom.  The wage in Puerto Vallarta for private tutoring ranges from 120 to 250 pesos per hour (depends on the value compared to the USD).  Primary and elementary bi-lingual schools in the tourist communities of Mexico and other Latin American countries may pay 10,000 to 12,000 pesos per month to start. In the outlying areas of Mexico and central American countries the pay is much lower, but so are your expenses.  Online teachers can expect the equivalent of $10 to $12 USD to start but once they understand the system, can make much more if they choose. Your contract may include accommodations, in which case the pay might be less to start.  English schools for adults – depends on # of hours of work – usually pay weekly. The pay isn’t high anywhere in Mexico unless you have a specific degree and are teaching at a university level.  If you are fluent in both English and Spanish, the pay may be higher in Mexico, especially in beginner classes or tutoring situations. The wages in Asia can vary quite a bit. It depends where you are going to. Right now English teachers are desperately needed in mainland China, especially if you have lots of energy for working with kids, and the schools pay exceptionally good money!   Susan – “Teaching English is more about the experience, no matter where you are in the world.  The pay varies depending on the country and your experience and qualifications.”


13 – Aside from actual schools, are there other settings where instructors teach ESL/ EAL (e.g., workplaces)?

There are many settings requiring English.  International businesses, preparation for international English testing to be accepted into college/ university in another country, English for tourism, English for specific purposes.  A lot of people take their TESOL to prepare for a volunteer job or teach English online.  The list goes on.  An English 1 International Educational Services International TESOL Certificate prepares you for global jobs, teaching both adults and children.  


14 – Some countries have age restrictions for teachers.  Are there any in Canada, the USA,  or Mexico?  What about the visa requirements?

We have not found age to be an issue so far.in Canada, the USA, or Mexico but some countries (and individual schools) do have age restrictions.  Visas – You are required to meet the current regulations of any country you want to work in.  Many countries allow you to enter on a visitor’s visa and find a job.  If you do get a job you will often have to do other paperwork outside of the country within six months (depending on the length of the visitor’s visa) and then return to remain working in the country legally.  This includes Mexico.